[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
front end lowering? - Angel VW Club

Angel VW Club

FREE friendly Volkswagen club in and around Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, Northumberland.
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: front end lowering?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

so, what's it going to take to lower the front of the bug? how much work is involved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:30 pm 

Adjustable beam or dropped spindles or both.

Beam swap would need shorter shocks. Fairly easy to do but gives a choppy ride. Can choose ya height and change at will. You may have noticed my car tonight was a bit what i call choppy at the front over bumps.

Spindles means a better ride but no adjustment.

Both gives ya better ride and adjustment.

Cheapest way is the adjustable beam, Bout £100 and however much the shocks cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:16 pm 

Has anyone fitted dropped spindles themselves? How easy is it? I've got a pair for the ghia but the thought of dismantling the brakes and removing the old spindles myself is a bit scary!! :shock: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:56 pm 

Spindles are dead easy to fit Andy!! Which ones you got? CB's?

lowered beams can be had 2nd hand for not much money, but why not get it narrowed at the same time! Will look loads better!!

Mine runs lowered with adjusters and dropped spindles and narrowed 3 inches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:04 am 

Alright Chris, yep got some CB performance ones last month. Glad they're easily fitted - you reckon a numpty like me can fit them!? :lol:

Thought about getting a narrowed beam too but I'm not sure I can afford it to be honest. I'll have a look at prices and see what's what. Would I need a whole new beam or can I get the existing one narrowed?

It would look a lot better though, I think Joe Kelly's Ghia is running a narrowed beam and that looks spot on. I don't think there's as much clearance problems as with a stock beam either? Could maybe get away with some reasonably wide tyres on the front if so.

Andy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:19 am 

Andy,

You can get the existing one narrowed but you need to find someone who can drill the leaves as they are bloody hard! There are plenty of people doing narrowed ones now so doesn't make sense to try to do it yourself if you dont know what your doing.

Tidders on VZi does them and have heard very good things about them, infact I'm probably after one in the next year!

As for clearance I dont know on a Queer, sorry Ghia, but on a bug the wheels can foul the headlamp bowls, but nothing a gentle persuasion with a hammer cant solve! :D Why do you want wide tyres on the front???? :roll:
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:29 pm 

Yeah, heard good things about Tidders' beams - only problem is he doesn't do balljoint ones yet. The CSP (balljoint) ones look decent enough but they're only 2" narrower - reckon it's worth it?

And when I say wide tyres, I don't mean really wide! :D

Original plan was the old favourite - fat tyres at the back, skinnys on the front and it still will be but not as extreme as I originally wanted. Apparently (according to Paul Knight) only 135s will fit on a ghia with mahles and dropped spindles without any rubbing of the arches. Problem is I really don't fancy tyres that skinny on wheels that wide from a safety/aesthetic point of view, plus it's finding somewhere willing to fit them! I'd be happy with some 155/165s on the front if I could.

Confused!!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:55 pm 

Re: CB beam - 2" aint too bad.:roll: Mines 3" but has CSP disc's on so that adds an inch.

Go for 145/65's up front. Will fit on 5.5" wheels no probs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:30 pm 

Looks good! :) Are they the smart tyres as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:09 pm 

No firestone F560 145/65/15. Smart car tyres are for gays!!!!!!!!

:wink:

For proper cal look tyre see these,

http://www.vintagetyres.com/vts/display ... =18&dc=132

Thats what I'll be getting next!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:16 pm 

Haha! Smart car tyres - the tyres of GAYLORDS! :lol:

Will you be wanting shot of those f560s when you go for those michelins?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:30 pm 

The firestones are no more..............

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/product ... radial.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:13 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:03 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:01 pm