[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
big wheels and engine advice please for my 67 split - Angel VW Club

Angel VW Club

FREE friendly Volkswagen club in and around Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, Northumberland.
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:33 pm 

hi thinkin about buyin some porche wheels carrera cup turbos? slopey five spoke things huge they are think there 18s but cheap 6 wheels wi tyres £250! also a type four 1800 porche fanned engine wi twin carbs oil cooler etc only done 19 miles looks the bolx £2500 but im a bit scared of the logistics of fittin them all to my 67 split anyone know the crack please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:59 pm 

Phil from the North East VW Club has Porsche cup wheels on his Splitty.

Here:
http://www.thenortheastvwclub.co.uk/4im ... 4b7d035777

Shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to fit Porsche wheels. Places like Machine 7 ( www.machine7.co.uk ) should be able to make Porsche wheel stud pattern drums for a Splitty.

As for the Type 4 engine - it should be fine if it's already got the Porsche fan housing. Does it come with an exhaust?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:01 pm 

yes mate every last thing is there! the exhaust def looks like it would foul my bumper the engine is out a beetle there exhausts seem to exit higher up tho only thing that really worries me is the things only done 19 miles and its got these pipes on for back pressure that go into little stainless steel box never seen anything like that before always thought back pressure was terminal? i would be selling my beloved motorbike to fund all this so im really nervous it goes tits up! drum brakes tuned motor hmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:14 pm 

Porsche wheels are a good price if they are genuine porka's. Should be stamped on the back.

Genuine 18" porsche rims come with some strange offsets so check this before buying, looking for around the ET50 mark to allow them to fit a bus. It will still be a tight fit though!!!!

As for the motor £2.5k seems expensive for a stock 1800cc Type4 to me.

The stainless box will be a breather box, connected by 2 pipes, 1 from each rocker cover normally, plus 1 return. This is to relieve crankcase pressure and is essential on any larger engine or you will see blown oil seals!

Drum brakes and tuned motor..............no worries, I manage OK, just dont get too close to the car in front, and you learn to watch 10 cars ahead!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:17 pm 

cheers wayne just had a look at phils split looks the dogs think il get the wheels still thinkin bout the engine! probably make more sense to just get a sensible engine disk brakes etc but then again :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:27 pm 

is it a T4 engine or is it a 914 porsche engine. 2500 is expensive but there agina fan etc will be over the grand.. Great engines especially in a bus but you will need to Irs, get a lightened 914 flywheel, or a 2 litre box etc etc etc as well as trimup rear bodywork to make it all fit.Its a lot of work for not a lot of gain really plus if it goes wrong everything on a T4 is twice the price at least. A big T1 lump is probably far more efficient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:27 pm 

thanks for the advice mate il check em owt tomoro two of them are propa huge must be off the back your spot on about the breather box thats pretty much wot he was sayin but didnt know wether he was just doin his sales pitch plus i was in a dream world gawpin at the lovely fan! my bus already has front clearance problems with 14 inch south african sprint stars and 65 profile tyres might have to swap my dropped spindles for standard ones or summit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:37 pm 

probly not bother wi the engine coudnt afford all that extra stuff im already doin overtime to pay for all the stuff iv already got ! thanks for the reality check m8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:45 pm 

wots et50 how you measure it? is it from the middle of the wheel to the face off the drum? cheers :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:57 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:15 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:29 pm 

thanks for that mate gonna go look at them now see wot they have on them cheers again! :D nice car by the way looks the dogs i had a go in a gtdi 150 the other day couldn believe how much grunt it had well nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:40 pm 

dunno wayne it had my head pounding but nic sort of put me off anyway think id rather just have a useable reasonably econimical bus still fancy the wheels tho but im pretty hard up my split has bled me dry :cry: if any body fancys the engine il tell em where it is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:17 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:08 pm